Tuesday, February 15, 2005

what did you do this weekend?

I drove to Berkeley. Mostly because the oldies station was pumping out the motherfucking jams. In my Jeep I only have a radio, no tapes and no cd's. Well, there is one tape. It is Sublime's self titled album. It is stuck in my tape deck and only plays at double-speed. Extemely rarely does this make for enjoyable listening. As a result of this, I am often at the mercy of los angeles radio programmers. Not an enviable position, you can be sure. I mostly listen to the classical stations, or kcrw if I am in range. Sometimes I listen to kpfk because they have a good signal, but I can't usually take it for too long. Leftist propoganda is only slightly more bearable to me than right-wing propoganda. They do play some good music when they aren't waxing political, but for the most part they are on a mission to save the world and they've got some things to say in that regard.

Last friday night. El Monte, Ca. I get in my car after rehearsing with Komputadora All The Way Live. (KATWL) It's a little past midnight. Feeling pretty good with the mild cocktail of drugs still pushing steam in my system. I tune into K-Earth. The big oldies station coming to you live from "The Entertainment Capital of the World".

At that moment began ONE PHAT SET of old school rock, rhythm, and blues.

I am on top of the world.

As I approach my exit on the 210 freeway I have a thought. If I just keep going I can be in Berkeley by 6 or 7 am. I have friends there.

No hesitation.

Off I go.

Haven't had a shower today and I've only got the clothes on my back. As if the lack of a tape deck or cd player in my car wasn't enough, the reciever is a piece of shit, too. As soon as I get out of LA I get no stations whatsover. Happened to have a laptop and some headphones. I only have my own crappy music to listen to and one 30 minute track of Henry Rollins talking about some homeless guy he used to hang out with as a kid. Crazy Paul, the stylish drunk. Worked well enough. I filled up outside Bakersfield. I ate five pieces of chicken from Carl's Junior at around 2:30 in the morning. I started to fall asleep once I hit Oakland, but yelled and screamed my way to people's park and fell asleep in the back of the Jeep just as the sky began to lighten. It had been raining in LA. Clear skies in no-cal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home